Because of its tradition and history
- The ‘Dakar Campaigns’ that were carried out during 1956 and 1965 mainly by the Bermeo fleet were a milestone in tuna fishery.
- In 1964, ECHEBASTAR, S.A. and GRUPO COATUMBER emerged, 2 large companies that constructed the first 2 seiners with built-in freezers: ALAKRAN and ALBONIGA.
Due to the social and economic impact of the tuna and canning sector in Bermeo, in the Basque Country and internationally.
- 50 tuna purse seiner vessels.
- 25 inshore vessels.
- World-renowned canning sector.
- 10% of the world’s tropical tuna catches.
- Over 6,000 direct and indirect jobs.
- Presence in global management bodies.
- Large capital goods technology companies.
- Shipbuilders who are specialised in constructing tuna freezer ships.
- 95% of the design, engineering and construction of the tuna boats are made in Euskadi.
Because of its commitment to science for sustainability
AZTI, a leading scientific institute that is a global benchmark in tuna research, collaborates with sustainability and good practices projects.
We face a worldwide challenge that promotes good practices and sustainability in a key sector for the future of our society.